Wlastimil Hofman | Symbolist painter

Wlastimil Hofman (1881-1970) was a Polish painter馃帹, one of the more popular painters of the interwar and postwar years.
Hofman was born Vlastimil Hofmann in Prague to Ferdynand Hofmann, a Czech, and Teofila Muzyk Terlecka, a Polish woman. In 1889 Vlastimil's family moved to Krak贸w in Poland, where he attended St Barbara's School and then the Jan III Sobieski high school.
In 1896, he became a student at the Academy of Fine Arts in Krak贸w, where he studied under, i.a., Jacek Malczewski.
In 1899 he went to study painting at the 脡cole nationale sup茅rieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris.
In 1902 he had his first showings in an exhibition by the "Sztuka" society.

Confession-1905-Museo-Nazionale-di-Varsavia-Polonia


Further exhibitions followed in Munich, Amsterdam, Rome, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, and Warsaw.
In 1904 he painted the first of his village (or peasant) "Madonnas".
In 1905 he started the cycle of pictures called "Confession"馃帹 which brought him international recognition.
In 1907 he was the first Polish painter to be made a member of the Gallery of the Vienna Secession.
When his professor, Jacek Malczewski, was appointed the Rector of the Krak贸w Academy of Fine Arts in 1912, Hofman obtained a teaching post there.
With the outbreak of World War I, in 1914-1920 he lived in Prague and then in Paris, marrying his beloved Ada in 1919.
Back in Krak贸w in 1921, he and his wife lived in a villa on Spadzista Street, later renamed Hofman Street in his honour.
Sometime around 1922, influenced by his friendship with Jacek Malczewski, he changed the spelling of his name from Czech to a Polonised 'Wlastimil'.
Malczewski died in 1929. In September 1939 Hofman fled from the Nazi invasion, mainly as a result of hiding Czech refugees (including later President, Ludwik Swoboda).
Escaping the German Nazis he and his wife found themselves on the part of the Polish territory invaded by the Soviet Red Army after 17 September 1939.
He managed to avoid Soviet captivity, though in Pomorzany he witnessed Polish soldiers being transported to camps inside Soviet Russia, among them officers sent to Kozelsk.
He reportedly "showed the Polish POWs a lot of compassion and tirelessly painted their portraits on small pieces of cardboard. The portraits were then to be sent to their families".



On all accounts it is then that he befriended Zdzis艂aw Jastrz臋biec Peszkowski, who on the day before the transport to Kozelsk left in Hofman's care the regiment's money.
According to Hofman biographical notes, he managed to join the soldiers of the Czech Legion and with them travelled through Ternopil, Istambul, Haifa and Tel-Aviv to Jerusalem Palestine, which is where he spent the remainder of the war.
In 1942, he published a book of poetry called Through Darkness to Freedom.
He returned to Krak贸w in June 1946.
In May 1947 at the suggestion of his friend Jan Sztaudynger the Hofmans moved to Szklarska Por臋ba in the Sudety mountains.
In July they received a house there, which they called 'Wlastimil贸wka'.
n the period 1953-1963 he produced religious paintings for the local church, including "Four Evangelists", "The Way of the Rosary", "The Way of the Cross", "The Adoration of the Child".



He also produced many portraits of local people, sports figures - especially footballers from his favourite Wis艂a Krak贸w team - and also self-portraits.
In 1961, he was awarded馃帹 the Cross of the Order of the Polish Renaissance.
Wlastimil Hofman died on March 6, 1970 and he and his wife are buried in the parochial cemetery in Szklarska Por臋ba, next to the Corpus Christi Church, run by the Franciscan Fathers and decorated with pictures and banners painted by Wlastimil Hofman with the painting entitled “Jesus Christ with the Holy Eucharist” in the main altar. | © Wikipedia





































Wlastimil Hofman (27 aprile 1881 Karlin - 6 marzo 1970 Szklarska Por臋ba) era un pittore accademico Ceco馃帹-Polacco馃帹, rappresentante del simbolismo馃帹.
Era il pi霉 giovane dei sei figli di Ferdinand Hofmann e della sua moglie polacca, Teofila Muzikov谩.
Nel 1889, la famiglia si trasfer矛 a Cracovia, dove Wlastimil frequent貌 la St. Wenceslas School.
Nel 1896 inizia a studiare all'Accademia di Belle Arti di Cracovia sotto la direzione di Jack Malczewski, Leon Wycz贸艂kowski e Jan Stanis艂awski.
Dal 1899-1901 ha studiato all'脡cole nationale sup茅rieure des beaux-arts di Parigi sotto la direzione di Jean-L茅on G茅r么me馃帹.
Dal 1902 ha iniziato a esporre.
Nel 1904 si un矛 alla M谩nes Association of Fine Artists e alla Sztuka Society of Polish Artists.
Nel 1905 dipinse il quadro la "Confessione馃帹", che fu presentato nel 1906 nella galleria "Zach臋ta" a Varsavia e lo rese famoso.
Nel 1907 fu nominato membro della "Secessione della Wiener".
Nel 1914-1917 visse a Praga, 1919-1920 a Parigi.
Alla fine si stabil矛 definitivamente a Cracovia, dove viaggi貌 regolarmente a Vienna, Praga e Parigi e viaggi貌 per studi in Italia.
Dopo lo scoppio della seconda guerra mondiale, fugg矛 con la moglie ebrea nell'esercito tedesco verso est, nel palazzo in Pomerania vicino a Leopoli, che dopo il 17 settembre 1939 cadde sotto il potere di occupazione sovietico.
Con la Legione dei cechi e degli slovacchi attraverso Istanbul, Haifu e Tel Aviv arriv貌 a Gerusalemme.
Nel 1942 pubblic貌 una raccolta di poesie "Przez ciernie do Wolno艣ci" (Through Thorns to Freedom).
Torn貌 a Cracovia nel giugno del 1946, ma nel 1947 and貌 a Szklarska Por臋ba dove visse in un modesto cottage ("Wlastimil贸wka").
Dipinse motivi e paesaggi religiosi, antichi e folcloristici.




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Info sulla Privacy