Textual description of firstImageUrl

Carl Spitzweg | The Bookworm, 1850



"The Bookworm" / "Der Bücherwurm", is an oil-on-canvas painting by the German painter🎨 and poet Carl Spitzweg (1808-1885)🎨.
The picture was made circa 1850 and is typical of Spitzweg's humorous, anecdotal style and it is characteristic of Biedermeier art in general.


The painting is representative of the introspective and conservative mood in Europe during the period between the end of the Napoleonic Wars and the revolutions of 1848, but at the same time pokes fun at those attitudes by embodying them in the fusty old scholar unconcerned with the affairs of the mundane world.

History

Carl Spitzweg🎨 painted three variations of this piece.
The first, painted ca. 1850, was listed under the title of The Librarian and sold in Vienna to Ignaz Kuranda in 1852 and now belongs to the collection of the Museum Georg Schäfer in Schweinfurt.
An exemplar of the same dimensions was painted by Spitzweg a year later and sent for sale to his New York art dealer HW Schaus.


This exemplar found its way into René Schleinitz's art collection and was bequeathed to the Milwaukee Public Library and housed in their Central Library (Milwaukee, Wisconsin).
In December 2014, the painting was placed on permanent loan to the Grohmann Museum at Milwaukee School of Engineering in Milwaukee.
A final version of the piece was painted in 1884. | © Wikipedia



"Il topo di biblioteca" (tedesco: Der Bücherwurm) è un dipinto ad olio su tela del pittore e poeta Tedesco Carl Spitzweg (1808-1885)🎨.
L'immagine è stata fatta intorno al 1850 ed è tipica dello stile umoristico e aneddotico di Spitzweg ed è caratteristica dell'arte di Biedermeier in generale.
Il dipinto è rappresentativo dell'umore introspettivo e conservatore in Europa durante il periodo tra la fine delle guerre napoleoniche e le rivoluzioni del 1848, ma allo stesso tempo prende in giro quegli atteggiamenti incarnandoli nel polveroso vecchio studioso indifferente agli affari del mondo mondano.

Storia

Carl Spitzweg🎨 dipinse tre varianti di questo pezzo.
Il primo, dipinto ca. 1850, fu elencato sotto il titolo di "The Librarian" e venduto a Vienna a Ignaz Kuranda nel 1852 ed ora appartiene alla collezione del Museo Georg Schäfer di Schweinfurt.
Un esemplare delle stesse dimensioni fu dipinto da Spitzweg un anno dopo e mandato in vendita al suo commerciante d'arte di New York HW Schaus.
Questo esemplare si fece strada nella collezione d'arte di René Schleinitz e fu lasciato in eredità alla Biblioteca pubblica di Milwaukee e ospitato nella loro Biblioteca centrale (Milwaukee, Wisconsin).
Nel dicembre 2014, il dipinto è stato messo in prestito permanente al Museo Grohmann della Milwaukee School of Engineering di Milwaukee. Una versione finale del pezzo fu dipinta nel 1884.






Nessun commento:

Inserisci un commento

Info sulla Privacy